pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane Quieter Neighbourhood proposals published

Fox Lane Quieter Neighbourhood proposals published

David Hughes

07 Nov 2017 18:10 #3325

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Conway Road carries a lot of traffic at its northern end between Fox Lane and Ulleswater Road by drivers heading for Aldermans Hill. Whether that has brought about the calming measures for Ulleswater I have no idea, or maybe there is simply space among the parking to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

08 Nov 2017 10:36 #3326

Colin - I entirely agree. When you say 'mid-road measures', are they what I mean by modal filtering? I.e. a barrier that would block motor traffic from continuing the length of each road?

Conway is unlikely to have anything like the same rat-running pressures as it's less straight and less direct. And, speaking to David H's point, I can see how it would be different at the very top end of Conway as I've noticed some drivers do whip off Fox Lane but turn straight onto Ulleswater to shoot down to Alderman's Hill the quickest/most direct route possible.

Colin Younger

08 Nov 2017 18:53 #3329

Answering David's question.
I'm pretty agnostic about the detail of mid-road measures. It could be speed humps or cushions or optical tricks which give the impression of humps. It could be a moveable barrier, such as a planter, or even a more permanent road narrowing if a trial of a moveable barrier showed positive effects. The aim would be to discourage drivers having slowed down to enter the road from then accelerating along the full length of the road, which is currently temptingly unobstructed. Given the length of these connecting road I suspect that two such measures would be needed.

The issue would a practical one of doing this without causing problems for existing cross-overs or reducing on-road parking too much, since there would be opposition on these grounds.

Bill Linton

09 Nov 2017 09:53 #3330

Kids are too mollycoddled these days. I'm not quite as old as David (70), but I remember walking home from school on my own at the age of 6 or 7, a distance of maybe half a mile with a major road and another only a bit less major to cross. From 8 I was travelling from Sunderland to Newcastle - with support from my older brother, but he'd also started at 8 with no such support - involving a walk to the station, a train journey, then a bus or tram. I'm not specially adventurous but it didn't phase me and I survived without alarums and excursions.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds