pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Larry Roberts

26 Nov 2018 16:27 #4234

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

My own view is that I'd rather have speed humps on Lakeside Road than a planter at the Aldermans Hill junction where there is already a narrowed entrance, continuous pavement and a traffic island on Aldermans HIll which narrows it.

….I'd agree with your comment above, Colin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

27 Nov 2018 10:27 #4236

Larry Roberts wrote:

My own view is that I'd rather have speed humps on Lakeside Road than a planter at the Aldermans Hill junction where there is already a narrowed entrance, continuous pavement and a traffic island on Aldermans HIll which narrows it.

Agreed. I've also never understood the reticence regarding speed cameras on Aldermans' Hill. This is a real trouble hot spot and Enfield police have said they've no interest in speeding offences, a camera would prevent a lot of speeding and do the police's job where not.

PGC Webmaster

27 Nov 2018 16:07 #4240

Here's a photograph of one of the planters marking the boundary of the quieter neighbourhood - uploaded to Facebook by Cllr Daniel Anderson. Located in the Mall near the Cherry Tree, this is one of four being installed at either end of the Mall and Selborne Road.

The positioning of the planters in these two streets will be experimented with before installing the rest of the planters shown on the map of the quieter neighbourhood. Most should be in place by Christmas and the rest of the quieter neighbourhood measures will be implemented in January.

Link to the Facebook post and comments
Attachments:

Larry Roberts

28 Nov 2018 14:44 #4243

Looks like the Selborne Road (Fox Lane end ) planter has come into contact with a moving vehicle already ?

Darren Edgar

28 Nov 2018 15:46 #4244

It's huge and in plain sight - some drivers are absolutely shocking!!

Neil Littman

29 Nov 2018 09:58 #4250

Don't think placing a planter like that on a blind bend (on The Mall) is very practical. Also saw a school coach trying to get through the space last night. The correct way to reduce the speed of vehicles entering the roads in the QN area is to narrow the carriageway and install a chicane with priority signs or speed tables as they have on the side roads along Aldermans Hill. However this would cost the council a lot more money to install.I am not even sure of the legality of the planters. If I were to apply for a skip in the same location the council would require lights. As for painting the planters black and not having any reflective stripes that is incredibly dangerous.

Maire Harris

29 Nov 2018 10:35 #4252

It's not just about reducing speed - it's about also reducing the volume of traffic entering these roads. Why would a school coach need to travel down the Mall when there is no school on that road??

Darren Edgar

29 Nov 2018 11:33 #4253

Spot on Marie! You've nailed the whole point of this!! What school could it possible have been serving that couldn't have been reached by a main arterial route (A or B road)??!

Good point regarding the need to reflective paint on the planters, but this is really no other excuse for hitting them. The "blind bend" issue - you have to peer round the corner for oncoming traffic anyway, only a reckless driver would whip round there without looking, therefore that's driver error and, ergo, a moot point.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds