pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: FLDRA and the Quieter Neighbourhood

FLDRA and the Quieter Neighbourhood

Karl Brown

24 Nov 2018 08:57 #4227

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

To me, a large issue emerging from Adrian’s post is that FDRLA is a long established, important, civic voice with a large membership on whose behalf it should speak. Consider “traffic”, in its widest sense, and the issue of balance Colin raises as important:

If we firstly take the point, “I wonder by the way what the evidence is that the committee is misrepresenting the entire area?” and spin it on its head, then in correctly representing the area, the committee should be able to produce an adequate level of evidence of the views it promotes on this very long standing subject in a trice. Matter resolved (?).

But on balance, and particularly the risks of imbalance: until quite recently the committee included a large number, possibly a majority of, mostly high profile, Save our Green Lanes members. This is the group where a leading light talked of the “nonsensical Quieter Neighbourhoods”.

One member being so SOGL supportive she is named twice as a paid up supporter, or alternatively that may be a family membership; two others were highly and very publically partisan on the matter, ultimately standing electorally on a broadly anti-active travel / pro-freedom-for-traffic platform (at which stage they were, rightly, not on the committee).

Of course all this may not affect committee decisions at all with personal opinion being left at the door and only member’s views being considered in the round. Yet when a significantly negative active-travel input is made to FERAA as the FLDRA position, having ignored seeking residents’ input because there was “not enough time to consult” one is left to wonder. (We should recall that LBE seem to have taken more time with QN’s than HMG has with Brexit, so making “urgency” a somewhat questionable position).
If we then overlay a totally disgraceful approach to the traffic controlling intent, area and high street enhancing, child freedom promoting opportunities raised by this place being chosen as the sole winner to become London’s pilot Play Quarter and, as I said in my earlier post, people will begin to wonder.

I know from an awful lot of years engaging in the matter to some considerable depth that there is no consensus on “traffic” within Fox Lane, but from the same work I also know pretty much where the “balance” lies. It certainly isn’t the status quo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colin Younger

25 Nov 2018 13:21 #4228

This continues in negative vein, and I really don't want to continue it, but I'll just comment on the claim that the FLDRA committee was or is stuffed with a majority of SOGL members because it can be tested.

So far as I can see the SOGL supporters list has one current committee member on it, one who ceased to be a committee member in 2017, and one name (duplicated) of a committee member who is mystified as to why it came to be listed once, never mind twice! Have I misread this?

So far as I recall, the committee told members long ago that it would not take a pro or anti line on Cycle Enfield or Quieter Neighbourhoods because there where strong views either way among members. Instead, it has encouraged members to consider the arguments, invited speakers to meetings as I noted earlier (I don't recall any of these being pro-motoring by the way), and take part in the formal consultations.

From what I've seen all the committee has done beyond this is comment on particular asects of implimentation, including writing to councillors welcoming the 20mph zone, but complaining that the QN schemes did not address its long standing concerns about speeds on Aldermans Hill and Bourne Hill. I just don't see this as being in some way pro motoring.

I doubt that this will change the minds of critics whose minds seem to be set. However, if people don't like the line taken, and they live in the area, there's nothing to stop them becoming members, attending meetings, and standing to sit on the committee. There's a web site, foxlane.net, where they can find out more.

Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Darren Edgar

26 Nov 2018 10:07 #4230

Karl Brown wrote:

To me, a large issue emerging from Adrian’s post is that FDRLA is a long established, important, civic voice with a large membership on whose behalf it should speak.

Karl, I totally agree. My issue with FLDRA (of which I am a fully paid up member) is that they do not canvas members’ views before pertaining to represent them. I have raised this issue before with them – “Don’t say, “Our members say….” When you have asked all members if they agree”. Too often FLDRA represents minority views as if they are a majority one and, if in line with the committee, does not question or open up to the group.

Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood: More details

Darren Edgar

26 Nov 2018 10:20 #4231

According to the list here: saveourgreenlanes.co.uk/about/

Both Christine CLARK and Susan YOUNGER are double represented on SOGL, latter of whom also a committee member on FLDRA.

Don Arthur is also an FLDRA committee member and SOGL supporter.
Laraine Feldman is also an FLDRA committee member and SOGL supporter.

Therefore 3 of FLDRA committee are SOGL members/supporters.

Colin Younger

26 Nov 2018 14:01 #4232

This is beginning to smack of the House of Un-American Activities....

I'd missed one of the names, but the committee member listed twice isn't a supporter of SOGL. So only 2 overlapping names, and given a committee of 9 even if it was 3 it would be a small minority.

Karl Brown

27 Nov 2018 12:30 #4238

At the time I would say the damage to credibility was most evident, I would add Paul Mandell, and while not a listed SOGL member, the very high profile anti-Cycle Enfield candidate, Gonul Daniels. That’s five as I would count it.

Hopefully the present approach is in line with what Colin indicates, rather than previous committee correspondence such as: “It is strange that just at a time when the wider world is reacting against this enforced elitist culture, they should be imposing it upon us in Palmers Green. Keep it in N1. Leave it out of N13.”

I didn’t really find such output either balanced or in keeping with an approach I wished to be paying to support, or be seen to be contributing towards in any way. I know I wasn’t alone.

Darren Edgar

27 Nov 2018 14:42 #4239

Are Gonul and Paul both drivers behind FLDRA too then?

I know Paul and have debated with him many a time on Twitter, often good fun, can rarely substantiate anything he says.

Colin Younger

27 Nov 2018 17:57 #4242

David, Karl,
So far as I know Gonul is not a FLDRA member and Paul is not on the commmittee. Let it go! There is no pro-car conspiracy.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.777 seconds