pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Donald Smith

Donald Smith

Basil Clarke

03 Jan 2018 13:29 #3470

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Donald Smith, who died unexpectedly on New Year's Day, was a real asset to the community in Palmers Green. He had a keen eye for spotting vital information hidden away in small ads or deliberately obfuscated on official websites. Readers of Bowes and Bounds Connected could be sure of learning the latest news about planning applications, council activities, NHS developments or local rail and bus services. His posts on B&B were a source that I would "borrow" from (with Don's permission) to keep this website up to date.

If you didn't know Don, you've probably seen him round and about wearing his characteristic large spectacles and light coloured mackintosh. Whenever I bumped into him in the street or on the bus, I always came away better informed. He was also a familiar figure at ward forums and at both Palmers Green URC and the Bourne Methodist Church.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Donald Smith

Colin Younger

03 Jan 2018 13:46 #3471

Basil, thanks for relaying this sad news.

When I glanced at the heading "Donald Smith" I looked forward to reading yet another apparently slightly idiosyncratic contribution on a matter which Don had winkled out for residents' attention. He will be missed, though perhaps not by those he helped try to hold to account.

Donald Smith - comment by John Strange

PGC Webmaster

03 Jan 2018 23:05 #3472

Basil has well illustrated Don's rare qualities of analytical thought, diligence and concern for the community. In so many areas of modern life there is an urgent need for such as he. We should learn from Don to look twice and 'read the small print' whilst ever looking for the good. With such a keen eye for the inadequacies around him he was not bitter, and always responded constructively.

Many have commented on Don's friendliness, yet he was a very private person, reluctant to seek help yet finding fulfilment in helping others. When I became his designated elder at Palmers Green, I may have been perceived as a would-be helper, and as such I was assured he did not expect to need the ministrations of an elder! Despite his many practical services over the years to Palmers Green United Reformed Church family, Don remained a 'floating worshipper' also attending three other churches of different denominations. I feel sure that in all of these he will be sadly missed by those who knew him best. We pray that his sudden passing was easy, and that if he was aware his time had come he was conscious of God's loving presence with him.

Donald Smith

Roger Blows

04 Jan 2018 11:34 #3475

Yes, Donald will be missed. His ubiquity was one characteristic. His quiet amiability was another. His expertise in local affairs was yet another. At any public meeting, it was Donald who was the person who had done his homework and could cite actions and documents in detail in holding councillors and council officers to account. Such persistence and dedication are vital but alas rare qualities that contribute to an open and fair society and a thriving local community. Where are our next Donald Smiths?

Donald Smith

Jane Maggs

04 Jan 2018 13:15 #3476

Donald was a mine of information and regularly copied me on his mails to various Council Officers and Councillors. I will miss his inimitable style, as well as his wealth of local knowledge.

I wondered if you have any information on when & where the funeral will be held, as I know there are local people who would like to attend.

Donald Smith

Peter SMITH

05 Jan 2018 20:56 #3484

Hello Basil

Thanks for info if you get any information on funeral arrangements as there are many whom had a great respect for him and if possible would like to attend

Regards

Peter Smith

Donald Smith

Clive Woodhouse

08 Jan 2018 14:19 #3496

I was very sorry to read this post. Don was a colleague for many years at STC - later Nortel - in New Southgate, and indeed he was part of my team for some of that time. He was a dedicated and meticulous worker who brought all the qualities mentioned in the other replies to the work place. I have shared the sad news with some other mutual colleagues, and we would like to know about the funeral if anyone has any information.

Clive

Donald Smith

Peter SMITH

12 Jan 2018 21:14 #3529

HAS ANUY ONE INFORMATION ON DONS FUNERAL

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.744 seconds