pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Putting a plaza in place

Putting a plaza in place

Darren Edgar

11 Nov 2022 10:09 #6668

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Maybe because nobody else is making such a big issue of this, Ann? Go ask yourself if it is important to you. You obviously have a direct line in to someone given your earlier post re the parklet relocation.

And how is Bourne Hill now unsafe to cross?! There's two zebra crossings in the stretch from The Woodman to Southgate Circus. There's probably a good reason why an agitator's loaded request was ignored/turned down.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Putting a plaza in place

Karl Brown

11 Nov 2022 11:07 #6669

Can I try and sweep up a few strands up here.
If there’s a wish to ask the Council something, approach your councilor. That’s their role.
Who and where to sit? Well, the UK doesn’t do, “you can do” notices, that’s all too Napoleonic – as well as inevitably enormously complex. But you do find, “don’t” notices. I’m not aware of any “don’t” notices in the new plaza. I have seen individuals going as far as to take the tap water and nearby glasses from the chiller in Le Grand Jour to consume at a table, with no associated purchase.
From a reasonableness perspective I would suggest avoiding the “historic” tables next to both cafes, instead using the new central area. If the seat-police do intervene then all will be clear, but I doubt such a scenario.
Let it evolve: the sunny weekend a few weeks back shows this is going to be popular and far better for the high street than the hundreds of cars that once used it for the briefest of short cuts. It could well expand to be eg the home of the GLBA Shopping Festival, location for an acoustic set for an hour on a Saturday, Hazelwood Christmas choir and and and. Time will tell.
And rather than trailing up with a McDonalds, so bypassing their own seats and ones in the nearby Triangle, I’d strongly recommend a freshly cooked gozleme from the Olive. Indeed, in recently buying three I was rewarded with four free baklavas. Top result. A lot of experience suggests that both cafes are kind outlets, adding positively to the public realm and deserve our support.
Looking at The Bourne / Bourne Hill, this has always been a difficult cross. Crossing north from Caversham Avenue into a blind bend was particularly dangerous and it took me about three discussions with the council about 20 years back to firstly outline the position, have it accepted as an issue and finally welcome the use of some end of year remaining budget to install the two pedestrian refuges both side of Caversham. All done with no animosity, anger towards the council or external “noise” but instead a “work with” approach while accepting the council’s own constraints. Some of the existing refugees are car-centric rather than suitable for wheelies and come with adverse pavement access. It would be a relatively small budget fix and you may succeed with an equivalent approach.
Much progress in PG has been individuals quietly working away, without seeking to sow division, to improve the overfall spatial framework in such ways. Much also carries on; you will have most recently read of the cinema project, now in its 5th year and I know subject to substantive volumes of effort. There are others, some known, some not.
In Yoda’s wise words, anger tends not to lead to a positive outcome. I’d commend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darren Edgar

Putting a plaza in place

Adrian Day

17 Nov 2022 09:19 #6676

I guess the Council can only answer if asked and suggest emailing and if you're not happy with response then talk to one of your councillors (who were elected to represent you). And same with the crossing refuges - chat with your councillors. I always try and remember the people working in councils are human - and are more likely to help people who work with them rather than appearing to be 'against'.

Winter Market launches Devonshire Square

PGC Webmaster

08 Dec 2022 00:16 #6694

As is clear from the photo above, the event that inaugurated PG's new Devonshire Square on Saturday was a great success, despite a nasty cold wind - but it was a Winter market after all!

Congratulations are due to the Palmers Green Action Team for bringing in an interesting mix of local traders for the Winter Market and to Enfield Council for persisting in the project for a new public space in the face of criticism from some of the usual quarters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Putting a plaza in place

Karl Brown

01 Mar 2023 17:23 #6777

Any doubts about the transformation powers of a road becoming a plaza will surely be eroded by a visit to the newly pedestrianised Strand outside Somerset House and fronting and surrounding St Mary Le Strand. Not so long ago this was a racetrack, with vehicle streams both sides of the church, proving an awful, noisy, place to cross. Now we have an oasis. Hard landscaping is complete and once the plants grow it will be fantastic. In countless years of passing I had never noticed the magnolias framing the church.

Tables, early signs of food and an installation of roughly 50 seats forming the colours and shades of the rainbow to the north side are building interest and life. Fortunately as yet no Yodas nor amplified buskers. Outside of the immediate impact and benefit I would see this as a jigsaw piece helping form a (tourist) route from the South Bank, through Somerset House and ultimately on to Covent Garden. A bit grander than our own Devonshire Square but we do have more cafes, probably more than Covent Garden itself.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds