pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Converting offices into flats: More housing, yes, but what about jobs?

Use this section to discuss planning and development topics that do not have their own section

Converting offices into flats: More housing, yes, but what about jobs?

Basil Clarke

21 Feb 2017 00:37 #2804

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

The onward march of developers converting office buildings into flats continues.  Local examples include the distinctive curved "Black Horse" block near Cockfosters Station (these days known as Holbrook House).  More recently there has been an application concerning the Office Village in Southgate (behind the White Hart in Chase Road) and now a property company is planning to covert the large block in Green Lanes, Winchmore Hill - Capitol House, which was originally built to accommodate civil servants.

poster

It's true that there is a shortage of housing in London, which might make one conclude that such conversions are a good thing.  However, even if we disregard the issue of the "affordability" of most of the new flats that are being created, there are some downsides to these conversions.

To be viable, town centres, including Southgate and Winchmore Hill, need customers for shops, cafes, restaurants, pubs etc.  Locally based offices contribute significantly to this type of business - much more than housing.

Offices also provide opportunities for people to employed locally, often within walking distance of home.  The hundreds of new resident of Capitol House will, however, have jobs elsewhere, perhaps at some distance, adding to the pressure on roads and public transport.

Like other London boroughs, Enfield is keen to create the optimal balance of housing and employment premises.  However, in 2013 the government abolished the requirement for developers to receive planning permission to convert offices into dwellings and made it much more difficult for local authorities to resist such changes.  They cannot require the inclusion of some "affordable" dwelllings or even enforce minimum space standards.

London Councils, the umbrella organisation for the London boroughs, strongly opposed the change of planning law and has published a short report The Impact of Permitted Development Rights for Offices, which can be downloaded from this link.

Closer to home, Southgate District CivicTrust is concerned about the loss of office accommodation and proposed conversions will be one of the topics covered at the next meeting of its planning group on 1st March.  For more information, contact .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Basil Clarke

22 Feb 2017 19:49 #2805

In the article above I referred to the conversion of the Blackhorse building in Cockfosters into flats. This is something I was aware of but had never looked into in any detail. Then last night Cllr Jason Charalambous (Cockfosters ward) reported that the Enfield planning committee had approved the developers's proposals. He was the sole member to vote against them. See m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1089550624506812&id=634899569971922 .

As I say, I hadn't paid much attention to this. But today, looking at the proposals, which can be found at www.cockfosters-green.co.uk/plans , I have to say that I agree with Cllr Charalambous' opinion that the proposals are "excessive". I hadn't realised that a massive new block would be built in front of the existing building, hiding its best feature, the rather gracious curve, as viewed from the Cockfosters Road side. I can't see how building on the green space in front of the nice curved building can conceivably be categorised as "green" - but this is exactly what the developers claim.

Just contrast the existing view with the future view:

Jason Charalambous is of the view that the planning committee in this case and in others ignores legitimate concerns in the interests of expediency and thus unsuitable construction goes ahead. This may well be so, but a couple of weeks ago I came across an article in the Guardian dating from 2014 which explained why developers have the upper hand over local authority planning committees and are able to frustrate councils' wishes.

The article, The truth about property developers: how they are exploiting planning authorities and ruining our cities is at www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/sep/17/truth-property-developers-builders-exploit-planning-cities .

The author, Oliver Wainright, sets out the problem thus:

Bankers have faced our collective wrath, but what about developers? The economy goes in fickle booms and busts, cycling merrily through bubbles and crises, but cities, built in concrete and steel, generally stay put. What we are making now, we will all have to live with for a very long time. The iniquities of the banking crash have been intricately unpicked, but the wilful destruction of the places where we live and work remains something of a mystery. We may rant and rage against ugly additions to the skyline, but what of the mechanisms that are allowing it to happen? How did it come to this?

The principal reason can be traced to the fact that awarding planning permission in the UK comes down to a Faustian pact. If the devil is in the detail, then the detail is Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, a clause which formalised “planning gain”, making it in the local authorities’ interests to allow schemes to balloon beyond all reason, in the hope of creaming off the fat of developers’ profits for the public good.

He goes on to say "In practice, since council budgets have been so viciously slashed, Section 106 has become a primary means of funding essential public services, from social housing to public parks, health centres to highways, schools to play areas. The bigger the scheme, the fatter the bounty, leading to a situation not far from legalised bribery – or extortion, depending on which side of the bargain you are on."

While the government claims to be promoting "localism", which involves listening to local communities when making planning decisions, its pauperisation of local authorities and its relaxation of many planning laws are doing the exact opposite - giving the power to big developers.

Whether or not these factors came into play when Enfield approved "Cockfosters Green" or, for that matter, the inappropriate housebuilding along Bowes Road, I can't say. But I do think we have to spare a little sympathy for hard pressed councils.

Colin Younger

22 Feb 2017 20:40 #2806

The Conservation Advisory Group considered this development on two occasions, most recently on 10 November.

On the last time we considered it, the outcome is in summary:
- No objection with respect to the listed underground station (unanimous)
- Objection to the additional floor on Blackhorse Tower (unanimous)
- Objection to the seven storey blocks B & C (majority decision).

On this this last issue there was an argument advanced that the seven storey addition would take the pressure off the green belt, provide substantial social accommodation and was a price worth paying.

The majority of members considered that the proposed seven storey blocks were far too large and blocked the view, from Cockfosters Road, of the pleasing curves of Blackhorse Tower. No attempt has been made by the applicant to respect the design of Blackhorse Tower or the predominately ground and two storey shopping areas, and, domestic properties; all of which are in the immediate vicinity. The scale of the development is likely to affect the whole setting of Cockfosters.

Members noted that none of the photomontages of the proposed blocks showed lift motor rooms, aerials, plant housings and the like; all of which would disfigure the sky line.

The minutes of the Planning Committee on 21 Feb haven’t been published yet so far as I can see, but the main paper they took is at
planningandbuildingcontrol.enfield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/3375C0E075B74B3ACD2294D68B1DB98A/pdf/16_04133_FUL-Committee_Report-1752588.pdf

What I don’t see in that are the CAG objections, but they may have been raised orally during the meeting. I suspect however, that this would have gone ahead anyway given the officers’ recommendation to approve the application.

Personally I think the outcome is an eyesore.

Paul Mandel

23 Feb 2017 00:24 #2808

The decision a few years ago by the coalition government to allow a simplified planning process to speed up the conversion of old office buildings into residential was much needed and long overdue.

Of course any conversion needs to be of a building that is suitable for the purpose, of a good standard and provide decent living accommodation, but it is far more cost effective than demolishing and rebuilding.

There was simply a huge oversupply of office space, which was becoming increasingly run down. Now it is being rebalanced. It is important to avoid the pendulum swinging the other way, as so often happens.

Although I have not looked at this in detail, Colin seems right that the Cockfosters site amounts to overdevelopment, with substantial new buildings concealing the original, the loss of open space and the building line being brought forward almost to the highway. It all looks very intrusive.

As far as jobs go, the construction work provides much employment and in answer to Basil’s question, why can’t you give jobs to people in those offices? An efficient economy works the other way round. You need to build offices and factories to put in machines and workers whose labour is in demand, not find workers to fill empty offices, then make up jobs for them

Richard Crutchley

23 Feb 2017 07:52 #2810

The decision of the Coalition Government to relax planning rules on converting offices to residential was stupid and misguided. They have compounded this recently to allow offices to be demolished and rebuilt as flats without planning consent, and allow other unsuitable buildings to be converted to inappropriate uses as well (an out of centre warehouse conversion to a school in Rotherham a year or so ago was particularly risible in my view). There are plenty of places in the country where this has caused an imbalance between jobs and residents, particularly in places like Croydon, but also in other parts of the country. Article 4 directions and exemptions have eased the pressure, but a blanket application of a permitted development was a crude response to the problem of of underused office space and long term I'd expect our communities to suffer more than they benefit.

"Stitching the neighbourhood together". Really?

Basil Clarke

23 Feb 2017 19:19 #2821

I have to concede that there is a legitimate debate about when it is appropriate to convert offices into flats, but I think that it should be up to democratically elected councils to decide, not "the market" in the form of developers going for the easiest buck.

However, I'm sure we can all agree that the massive new blocks in front of Blackhorse House will be a blot on the least spoilt town centre in the borough.

Not that the "architectural director" for the development sees it this way. The Enfield Independent reproduces his comments , which I can only classify as absolute drivel:

“We have really concentrated our designs on creating an open, continuous and active frontage to increase fluidity of movement between the train station and the town centre, creating a safer and more attractive public realm environment.

"We have focused on stitching the neighbourhood together by creating a gateway building that clearly defines the reinvigorated Cockfosters Green and links the two stretches of the shopping parade to the north and south of the site.

“The new buildings are designed to mediate between the large 1960’s retained building, and the surroundings in scale, massing, materials and architectural language with the aim of enhancing the existing building as well as the adjoining built context.”

Darren Edgar

02 Mar 2017 13:03 #2846

Capitol House is a horrendous dump. Truly awful building with no redeeming features and a blight on the streetscape - classic 1960s ex-public sector tat.

Some people are just desperate to screw the younger generation and refuse to allow young people places to live.

Are the offices full to the brim? I doubt it. Suspect rental growth has been pretty muted. Much better to convert to a more attractive looking building providing something that IS desperately needed - housing. Housing that will be occupied by new people in the community, bringing in new investment and new spending - much greater benefit to local businesses that some shoddy old bargain basement offices.

20th century NIMBYism has morphed into 21st century BANANAism - Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.821 seconds