pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood scheme to go ahead

Fox Lane quieter neighbourhood scheme to go ahead

Neil Littman

25 Oct 2018 10:34 #4148

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Have to say that I don't think there are any winners with schemes like this as reducing traffic flows in one part of the area simply moves the traffic to another part instead of being evenly distributed and it is very unlikely that the overall level of traffic in the area will reduce at all unless you go for the drastic solution that happened in Walthamstow where all side roads are basically for entry and exit only and the only through routes are the main roads on the boundary of the area. The same thing as Fox Lane QN will probably happen to the Fernleigh Road QN and everyone will be complaining that they didn't expect it. I think they should have put platforms on all the road entrances and left the rest as is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Däna Roberts

25 Oct 2018 15:59 #4150

Hi Richard

Can you let me know where you issued a call for comment? I’m not sure where to look.

Also what address should we use to copy you in on responses? I am aware of a good number of people with concerns that. Grovelands and Lakeside are being left out, so before FLDRA respond to the council, how should these people be in touch with you?

Many thanks

Karl Brown

25 Oct 2018 16:15 #4152

Responding to Neil Littman’s posting regarding a net nil outcome, to the contrary there is a well-established phenomenon called traffic evaporation which seems to result in a broadly 15% average reduction in traffic after certain traffic management schemes are installed. Why? Varies, but covers such things as people discovering they have legs, that there is public transport, that they didn’t need to make a particular journey in the first place, and more. Let’s now see what happens with the Fox Lane QN for after all the consultation and analysis over many years that seems to be an entirely reasonable next step. its long past the time something needs to be off the drawing board and tested "live".
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Phillips

David Hughes

26 Oct 2018 19:55 #4155

I've just read the Council's current proposals for the Fox Lane Quieter Neighbourhood - and learned a key lesson: it's just as important to respond when you like/support proposed changes as when you object. Why? Because otherwise the Council could get the impression that the scheme is unpopular and vote-threatening when it's not, and therefore become more cautious about implementing a scheme as first envisaged.

I shall mend my ways.

Going back even further to the time when the Council made its bid for cash to build cycle lanes on through roads, and to improve residential areas for residents and cycling, I remember reading the document describing comparable schemes already existing in Germany. In a sense we've done something on similar lines, but the Germans made much more of using their equivalent of QNs to foster cycling, especially among the young not yet cycling because they need to learn and practice. You need speed limits well below 20mph for that, and frankly I am charmed by the German picture which is similar to the scene in which I grew up; my friends and I played all sorts of games on our bikes, it was wonderful training for a life of cycling.

I know that most readers will think/say that it's too late now, and ask how the Germans managed it; is it and illusion? Possibly, but we've reached a maximum in car ownership, air quality is a key issue and vehicle tyres are a significant contributor to that (beyond battery powered cars). Further health and fitness is a big worry, and lack of it is a very big worry for the NHS.

Often I ask myself if personal car ownership is necessary in a big city. I'm not suggesting that we go that far, but surely we don't have to quibble about speeds of 20mph or lower in a purely residential area.

Karl Brown

27 Oct 2018 13:27 #4158

I understand there has been a drafting error on the maps (now being corrected and reissued asap) and that there will be planters at the Fox lane junctions of Grovelends and Lakeside Roads. At the Aldermans Hill end the continuous footway is expected to slow traffic but if monitoring shows that more planters are needed then there seems a view that they can be considered for addition.

so as i said earlier in a posting, a good time to get it "live" and see what emerges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adrian Day

Colin Younger

27 Oct 2018 19:29 #4159

I fail to understand how planters and/or continuous pavement at the ends of roads will slow down traffic along the length of any of the cross-connecting roads. These may reduce through traffic (as Karl says that will be tested) but only something like speed humps (preferrably sinusoidal ones) will slow cars down once in these roads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Phillips

Colin Younger

27 Oct 2018 20:16 #4160

I had an interesting chat today with a resident of one of the connecting roads running from Forest Road to Hoe Street in Walthamstow. They had tried alternating one way roads but for some reason this had been abandoned in favour of closing off the Forest Road ends. It may be that they encouraged faster driving given that no traffic flowed against them

These few roads don't have off-street parking and there is no turning space at the closed end - the roads are to narrow for this, so there are issues for owners of cars at the closed ends in particular. I don't know how they get out - reversing along their length on to Hoe Street? Or vice versa?
The roads are obviously quieter so that can be seen as a success.

However an unexpected issue is that on bin collection day he has to be out by 6am to avoid being trapped by the refuse lorry!

I don't know what happens in Broomfield Avenue in this context, it may be wider and the entrance to Pilgrims Close may give the necessary reversing space.

Thinking about road dimensions and the planters, I assume that cars won't be able to park on the opposite side of the road entrance/exit at least as far along to allow the full length of a refuse lorry or fire engine (and removal lorry?) to proceed in to and out of the road. Something about devil and details springs to mind, so I hope that the engineers have had their tape measures out.

I've commented before that the traffic measurement sensors on Lakeside Road were cut at the start of the monitoring and I don't know whether enough (any?) representative data was gathered. I hope that measurement of post-implementation traffic is better.

These comments should only be seen as observations, not anti-quieter neighbourhoods, which I support.

Larry Roberts

28 Oct 2018 12:21 #4161

Agree wholeheartedly

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.801 seconds