pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Hoppers Road / Bourne Hill

Hoppers Road / Bourne Hill

Andrew Nix

24 Aug 2014 00:00 #388

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Another road traffic accident at this junction just now.

Mini roundabout or traffic lights please!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

David Hughes

28 Aug 2014 21:13 #392

Could Andrew Nix explain how the Bourne Hill/Hoppers Rd junction would be improved by traffic lights or a mini-roundabout, and would that explanation cover the safety and freedom of movement of pedestrians and cyclists?

Personally I would have thought traffic lights should be ruled out immediately because they: encourage less than considerate driving between them, exacerbate congestion & local poor air quality and encourage pedestrians to wait even if there is nothing on the road. For cyclist they mean waiting among deadly exhaust gases.

A mini-roundabout seems a better bet, but west to east traffic is likely to slow down at the last minute without improving the position for pedestrians, and perhaps making it worse.

I'd prefer a proper scheme linked to the Hoppers Rd 20mph limit, but if the junction has to be thought about separately I'd go for table on the Bournhill western approaach, and a mini-roundabout on a raised table to prevent acceleration from the Green Lanes end.

Andrew Nix

04 Sep 2014 12:23 #404

Dear David,

With the traffic lights option, at least it would give motorists and cyclists safe exit from Hoppers Road onto Bourne Hill. At the moment we have a situation at peak periods where traffic from Hoppers Road is effectively held at a red light for long periods, resulting in congestion, exhaust fumes, angry impatient drivers trying to overtake cars too timid to pull out. We also get a lot of noise pollution from the same drivers tooting their horns. And technology allows for the light phases to be altered to reflect traffic flows.

I do agree that a mini roundabout could be a better option and I think your proposal is a good one.

Regarding this stretch of Bourne Hill being brought into the 20 mph zone, I was told at a council meeting that this will not be considered due of objections by the emergency services...

Regards,

Andrew Nix

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.653 seconds