pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: The David Burrowes "referendum"

The David Burrowes "referendum"

Paul Mandel

07 Jan 2016 23:05 #1926

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I doubt many voters in Palmers Green or Winchmore Hill who went out on May 1st 2014 to vote in the local elections would have even heard of mini-Holland let alone given it any thought.

Can you seriously believe many life long Conservative voters will have said to themselves, "I can't possibly vote for them this time, they supported the cycle lanes bid document."

At the time it was not a key local issue. Few sensible people could have believed such a daft scheme as envisaged in the bid document would actually come to fruition in such a form. Even the Labour run Council's cabinet member for the Environment was saying as late as February 2015 that "it was only about getting the money....and what ever scheme we put in businesses will have to be on board with it"

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=790244554377723&id=255844137817770

This of course is also the reason why the Conservative group says it supported the bid.

True, the final scheme design has not been announced yet (it was scheduled to have been done by the end of last November). The Council's timetable shows that as soon as this happens, it will try to rush it through as quickly as possible. I can't see how David Burrowes would have been able to plan and execute a referendum within that timescale. Therefore, he conducted it at the most appropriate time.

If the referendum shows a rejection of the scheme, the final design should not be implemented unless it has resolved, with proper scrutiny, all the issues. This does not appear to be a likely scenario. Even since the close of the public consultation, new issues have arisen. I for example have questioned the accuracy of the traffic modelling and no answer or explanation has been forthcoming to-date.

In my opinion, the Council and TFL really need to go back to the drawing board with this and start afresh. Had Enfield Council , stuck to its word, this mess would not have happened.

I really do not follow what you are saying about Quieter Neighbourhoods. I was at the meeting in the URC Fox Lane and the audience seemed pretty hostile. At the design workshops in St. Johns and the Fox, there were very mixed opinions. In my view, the roads were set out more than a century ago to allow people and traffic to pass through. We should keep it that way.

Since WW2, town planners have had different ideas. They built fast high capacity roads to orbit residential and commercial areas, which work like cells. Any built in the future are likely to also accommodate cycling in a very comprehensive way.

But going on house prices ....where to people actually prefer to live? Places like ours.

The rest of what you are saying really is off topic. However, a cycle superhighway is not going to beautify the shops and make our town look like Hampstead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colin Younger

08 Jan 2016 12:43 #1927

Paul,

I was at the Fox Lane QN meetings and I thought that there was pretty clear support for the idea, though of course some caution about how the whole project might impact on individual streets.

In contrast to MH, residents were being invited to propose designs and we were assured that where possible elements would be trialled by temporary structures/signage to see how things actually worked before final decisions were taken. I thought those at the workshops were pretty keen to get involved, and were positive in their participation.

There were questions asked about the logic of applying QN before the post-MH traffic patterns had been established, but I think that in the end the LBE view that enough benefit would be realised from early QN work was accepted. The later LBE decision to delay QN until well after MH was a surprise and probably a disappointment to many at the QN workshops. The only consolation is that our original concerns about the order of work on MH and QN seems to have been met, though perhaps for LBE's own reasons.

Whatever happens to QN (and when) I just hope that the flexibility and willingness to involve residents shown earlier continues.

Colin

Adrian Day

08 Jan 2016 14:24 #1930

I agree, Colin. My feeling is that there was significant support for the QN idea. In Old Park Road, where I live, we have tracked support and its between 80% and 90% of households. Paul is right, of course that the roads were designed 100 years ago for people and traffic - but one of those variables has changed dramatically since then. The planners couldn't have envisaged HGVs travelling down OPR at 40 mph or cars at over 60mph (tracked myself using a police speed tracker).

Andrew Nix

19 Jan 2016 20:50 #1946

So Burrowes' plan looks like it's working.

@davidburrowesmp tweeted:

"Boris agrees to halt approval of Cycle Scheme following MP's referendum"
www.davidburrowes.com/content/cycle-scheme

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.669 seconds