pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Tree Re-Planting

Tree Re-Planting

Meb Khatri

05 Feb 2015 13:48 #876

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I live in Old Park Road N13 and have noticed that large stretches of the road remain treeless owing to then being felled for whatever reason over the years . Although there has been some re-planting on that road a few years back, its no way near the number we have lost . I am sure a similar situation applies to other roads in the neighnourhood . I dont know about you, but having trees on the road changes the whole complexion of the street for the better . I was wondering if anyone is aware of the councils plans in this area or is very low on their list of priorities if at all .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tree Re-Planting

Colin Younger

05 Feb 2015 17:00 #878

There wa a major tree survey and re-planting exercise across the Lakes estate in 2011-12, and an associated survey of trees likely to need replacement over the next few years, for example through age, disease or serious damage to the road or pavement. This latter is a last resort step after remedial measures have been tried. Such measures include for example resetting and thinning out of the granite kerb to avoid damage to traffic, and tarmac replacement of pavement slabs to prevent trips as tree roots push them up.

Tree removal and replacement does continue, on an ad hoc scale. I have walked the streets in the Lakes Estate Conservation Area with Enfield tree officers, and it is striking as to what the limits on replanting are. There are constraints on replanting where the earlier tree was, and a whole range of limits imposed by the need to avoid services, cross overs, lighting columns etc none of which were there when the area was originally planted. Some earlier tree replacement has turned out to be mistaken, and the varieties chosen have become nuisances!

There is also consciousness that planting uniformly risks disease or pest spread and eventually all dying or becoming diseased at the same time.

I will try to find out what the situation is for replanting in OPR, I have already asked for an inventory of planting over the lkast few yesrs across the area, and will pot it if/when I get it.

Colin Younger
Chair
Lakes Estate Conservation Area Study Group.

Tree Re-Planting

Karl Brown

05 Feb 2015 17:01 #879

The Council talked about having trees in the road as one option for Quieter Neighbourhoods. Gets my vote. Haringey did similar I'm given to understand from a resident of that Borough. Seems it's a very good option to slow traffic.
In, on or nearby gets my support.
There is local tree expertise, I'm sure a comment will follow

Tree Re-Planting

Colin Younger

06 Feb 2015 11:15 #883

I seem to remember that at the Fox Lane Quiet Neighbourhood meeting it was suggested that there could be temporary trials of potential traffic calming measures. As part of this it was suggested that mock up trees, straw bales etc could be used to gauge the impact of possible permanent changes.

This seems to me to be a sensible way ahead and worth raising at any future consultation meetings. No doubt LBE staff involved are well aware of what Haringey has already done, for example around Turnpike Lane west, and there must be many other examples which can be shown to residents.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.690 seconds