pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Norma Morris - Memorial Tree being planted in Conway Rec Sunday 29 March at 12.30pm

Norma Morris - Memorial Tree being planted in Conway Rec Sunday 29 March at 12.30pm

David March

23 Mar 2015 11:04 #1090

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

NORMA MORRIS (died 2/04/1985)
Open Invitation:

The Friends of Conway Rec are planting a tree in memory of Norma Morris in Conway Rec at 12.30 on Sunday 29th March.

Norma lived in Conway Road and was a social worker at Haringey Council. Sadly she was murdered while on a house visit 30 years ago. We hope that people who knew Norma may like to join us on Sunday.

Conway Rec is a small park with a footpath linking Cannon Road and Conway Road, N14.

Refreshments will be provided afterwards at the Conway Tennis Club.
()

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Norma Morris - Memorial Tree being planted in Conway Rec Sunday 29 March at 12.30pm

PGC Webmaster

24 Mar 2015 18:54 #1099

The following is an extract from the Winter 2014 issue of Civitas , the newsletter of the Tottenham Civic Society :

A Tree for Norma Morris

Norma Morris lived near me in Conway Road but I did not know her. In 1985 she met her death whilst on duty and I planted a tree in memory in our recreation ground. Unfortunately soon after the tree was vandalised. I did not rush to replace it.

It seemed the right time to plant another tree when a Friends Group was set up to help care for the recreation ground. I mentioned my wish to a committee member Illona when we were walking from the bus stop. The committee agreed to act and approached the council and, as a consequence, on David March’s suggestion, we planted a red oak for her. I, and the committee, decided to have a plaque on the tree, one just indicating that Norma died on duty.

Social Workers, following the tragic death of baby Peter, have been vilified by some of the press. The consequence has been Social Workers quitting the profession and, moreover, a dearth of recruits. Planting the tree and putting a plaque on it is more than an appreciation of a Social Worker who died tragically on duty. It is a tribute to all of them who carrying out the stressful and the difficult job they do. My grateful thanks go to the committee and all the others who have helped.

Dr Fred Clark

David March

02 Apr 2015 19:12 #1124

The unveiling of the Plaque to commemorate Norma Morris took place on Sunday 29th March. The event was introduced by Keith Weller, Chair of the Friends of Conway Rec and Councillors Bambos Charalambous and Daniel Anderson also spoke.

Attachments:

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.692 seconds