pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Bowes Park, Woolies knickers and a cable car in Wood Green

Bowes Park, Woolies knickers and a cable car in Wood Green

Basil Clarke

25 Jan 2017 20:39 #2642

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I haven't tuned in to Robert Elms's radio programme for several years, but when I found out that yesterday's had Bowes Park as its theme, I decided to listen to it on iPlayer. Good decision.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04p466f

If you take an interest in the ins and outs of London's 32 boroughs, Robert's programme is always worth a listen, but this one is particularly so. There's three hours of it, with records and news thrown in - though you can fast forward through those bits to find the interviews with people from Myddleton Road, the Bowes Park Community Association and Bowes School. You get a good feel for how the community spirit has been improving the area while retaining its diversity and originality.

The famous George Moore shop window gets a mention, naturally. But this is already the (not so distant) past look of Myddleton Road (photo by Peter Berthoud www.peterberthoud.co.uk )

Also, one of Robert's regular guests, retired architect Max Hutchinson, tells the story of how he was ordered by his bosses in Haringey Council to make the case for Alexandra Palace NOT to be listed. Unfortunately, his submission was so well written that when it reached the relevant minister's desk, Michael Heseltine took an immediate decision to list the Palace.

Max Hutchinson also mentioned that he proposed to make it easier to get to the Ally Pally by building a cable car from Wood Green station. It would probably have got more customers that Boris Johnson's ridiculous Emirates cable car across the Thames!

Also in the programme: the link between the US Ambassador's London residence and underwear sold by Woolworths; an encyclopedia of music venues in London, past and present; and the split between Spurs and Gunners supporters in our neck of the woods.

You have 28 days to listen - don't forget.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.703 seconds