pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: MP continuing efforts to curb spread of gambling establishments as licence is issued for new PG gaming centre

MP continuing efforts to curb spread of gambling establishments as licence is issued for new PG gaming centre

PGC Webmaster

16 Aug 2023 22:48 #6940

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

[Original article]

Following the issuing of a licence allowing use of a former bank building in the centre of Palmers Green as an adult gaming centre, Bambos Charalambous MP has written to the culture secretary urging her to speed up legislation to help reduce the proliferation of gambling premises on the country's high streets.

we can stop this anti gambling premises collage

Despite the submission of many objections by local residents and the collection of more than 1200 signatures to an online petition, Enfield Council has granted a licence to Palace Amusements for the operation of an adult gaming centre in the premises in Green Lanes formerly used by Lloyds Bank.

The council had little choice other than to bow to the reality of the situation that local authorities find themselves in when trying to block the spread of gambling establishments, as both council and residents discovered two years ago in the case of Merkur Slots.

However, Palace Amusements still need to obtain planning permission for the change of use, so campaigners have not entirely abandoned hope of success.

In his most recent email newsletter to constituents, Enfield Southgate MP Bambos Charalambous shared the response that he received from the council's licensing team after he objected to the licence application, which dismisses concerns about crime and disorder or the effects on schoolchildren:

"As these premises have not yet opened, there is no evidence that they are the source of any crime and disorder. Speculative views cannot be considered. [...] The simple fact that children will pass the premises, and there are schools and other child friendly facilities in the area, is not sufficient to object to the whole application."

On the wider issue of gambling industry reform, he highlighted the fact that submissions by Palmers Green residents, in the wake of the Merkur Slots controversy, are directly referenced in the Gambling Act Review White Paper.

Local businesses and residents groups in Palmers Green have worked hard to improve the local shopping area and develop family friendly spaces, but their efforts are being undermined by the continued growth in gambling in the area.

Bambos Charalambous MP in a letter to the culture secretary, Lucy Frazer

Bambos also includes the text of a letter sent to the culture secretary urging her to bring forward legislation as soon as possible that would treat applications for gambling licences similarly to applications for alcohol licences, using "cumulative impact assessments" rather than treating each application independently, and pointing out that the spread of gambling establishments is disrupting work to improve local high streets:

"Local businesses and residents groups in Palmers Green have worked hard to improve the local shopping area and develop family friendly spaces, but their efforts are being undermined by the continued growth in gambling in the area."

Extracts from Latest News from Bambos Charalambous MP 11 August 2023

Since my last update, the consultation for the new adult gaming centre in Green Lanes has closed and the Council has now issued a licence for the premises.

This is disappointing news. On behalf of local residents, I lodged my objections to this licence application last month as I am extremely concerned about what another adult gaming centre will mean for our high street and for residents.

However, we know that local authorities have very limited powers to refuse gambling premises licences. Many of you will remember the huge local campaign to stop Merkur Slots from opening a 24 hour Adult Gaming Centre in the heart of Palmers Green in 2021, and the outcome of this campaign.

Following the licence being granted, the next stage of the process will be a planning application for the new Adult Gaming Centre premises. As soon as I am aware that the application has been lodged, I will alert constituents so that objections can be made.

You can read more about my objections, an update from the council licencing team and my letter to the Culture Secretary about the Gambling Review below.

See also

Local MP ‘extremely concerned’ as adult gaming centre wins licence to open in Palmers Green(Enfield Dispatch 16 August 2023)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

MP continuing efforts to curb spread of gambling establishments as licence is issued for new PG gaming centre

Norberto Valbuena

17 Aug 2023 09:20 #6941

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

What the hell is going on here. I don’t believe Enfield Council’s hands are so tied that they could not refuse this licence. From the comments made by council licensing officer Ellie Green where she dismisses residents views as speculative they don’t give a dam. For her information the proposed site is right by a main bustop where children from a few different schools congregate coming to and from school, so no Ms Green and Enfield Council not a good site as children and young people will walk past it all the time. Why doesn’t this council stand up for our views and show a bit of “bottle”. Palmers Green High St is small with a good family based local community, so how is it peppered with gambling businesses; where in Enfield is there as many gambling dens in such a small space; this council just seems to bow to large corporations whist totally dismissing the genuine views and concerns of local residents. This has to stop and stop now or our High St will not be a place for families to come too. Please support the action group, Bambos and Giorgia in trying to get through to the council that this must not go through planning. Barnet Council have recently turned down another attempt by Merkur Slots to open in their borough, so it can be done. Sometimes
our rights, views and concerns have to take precedent over big business, especially such an insidious one as the gambling/slot machine industry. Also it looks like they have already started work on the site, so is this a done deal? Enough is enough!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.676 seconds