pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Can anyone help Marion remember?

Can anyone help Marion remember?

PGC Webmaster

13 Sep 2014 20:11 #414

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Hallo,
I wonder if you have some "historic" information?
I'm looking for any details, of some special event, mainly for children, around the time of the Queen's Coronation, relating to some party/festivities in Broomfield Park.
I recall lots of children dancing around several maypoles and other country dancing type activities.
I was about 10 years old and remember going in fancy dress - as an Indian chief together with my little sister, who refused to be a cowboy, but went happily as a cowgirl!
The judge was "The Lone Ranger" complete with mask and silver gun plus his wonderful stallion, "Silver", (no sign of his Indian friend, Tonto. The prize was a ride round the park in a real stagecoach - which we really enjoyed and thought it was a great thrill!
Hoping you can aid my memories?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colin Younger

14 Sep 2014 16:43 #416

Southgate District Civic Trust have a DVD "Southgate Celebrates the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II " for sale at £13.50. I think, but can't be sure, that it has film of Broomfield Park in it. There will be more information in the Enfield Local Studies unit in the Dugdale Centre.

Colin Younger

Tony Elliott

25 Sep 2014 12:41 #436

My only thought is that this may have been associated in some way with the formal opening of the Coronation Gates on Alderman’s Hill in July 1953; I have a PDF of the booklet prepared for that event, which I have tried to attach but am happy to e-mail to anyone who may be interested. You may be surprised to hear that I wasn’t present, being only four days old at the time !

Otherwise, as Colin says, Marion’s best hope is probably the historic local newspapers in the Local Studies & Archives Dept at Thomas Hardy House, where John Clark and Kate Godfrey are always very helpful:
Attachments:

Donald Smith

26 Sep 2014 12:53 #437

Colin Younger comments: Southgate District Civic Trust have a DVD "Southgate Celebrates the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II " for sale at £13.50. I think, but can't be sure, that it has film of Broomfield Park in it.

DVD is advertised for sale from Southgate District Civic Trust are the following web address: www.n21.net/southgate-district-civic-trust-publications-for-sale.html

The contact details for Kate Godrey are mailto: The Local History Unit at Dugdale Centre, 1st Floor Thomas Hardy House, 39 London Road,
Enfield EN2 6DS is open 09:30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday 020 8379 2724

Clive Lawrence

26 Sep 2014 15:29 #438

Not what you asked for, but I have a copy of the programme for the Silver Jubilee in Broomfield Park - 6 May 1935 !
Not sure what to do with it - but I am having a 'clearout' - any suggestions?

Kate Godfrey

27 Sep 2014 14:13 #439

There were certainly big celebrations in Broomfield Park for the coronation of the Queen in 1953. We have quite a few still photographs at Enfield Local Studies & Archive, First Floor, Thomas Hardy House,39 London Road Enfield EN2 6DS. tel.020 83792724. You are welcome to come and see them during our opening hours 9.30am to 5pm from Monday to Friday. I can't recall a photograph of the Lone Range, but there may well be one. There was certainly a small boy dressed as a cowboy who I later discovered was late David Hicks, antique dealer on Winchmore Hill Green.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.751 seconds