pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Unblocking the pavement outside the Fox

Unblocking the pavement outside the Fox

Ann Jones

09 Aug 2023 23:41 #6930

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Karl. I was struck by your own words “ The Fox own the sliver of roadway outside their (licensed) chair/ table area, so can, and do park, on it. ” Please can you clarify. I assumed you were referring to what appears to be a loading bay on the pavement? How did the Fox developers come to own roadway/pathway that previously seemed to be public because it used to have a continuous yellow line painted on it as did the rest of roadway so presumably Council controlled. I would be interested to know how come it is now apparently privatised and owned by the developer - do you know? You would hope that the Council would have ensured adequate pavement space for pedestrians at a minimum...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Darren Edgar

10 Aug 2023 09:03 #6931

Ann Jones wrote (message 6928) :

Isnt it priceless though how Enfield Council actually sold off the original pavement to the developers! It belongs to the developers ? No mention is made of moving the underused cycle racks outside the pub further up the street although removing a parking space across the road is somehow helpful? Has anyone tried to stop the two cafes on Devonshire Square from putting tables and chairs on the narrow bit of pavement on Green Lanes forcing pedestrians onto the cycle lane even though the Council gave them a huge outdoor space on the Square and paid for their tables and chairs? I feel it is a very selective focus to devote an article to this pub which is a community asset whilst ignoring other businesses that have problematic use of the pavements for far longer.

Care to fact check yourself (once again) there Ann? Can all be found on Land Reg, publicly available info.

Karl Brown

10 Aug 2023 09:51 #6934

Land Registry will provide the definitive answer, but I refer to the late Donald Smith, total expert on all things PG, who told a public forum many years since of the anomaly of the slip of land used by draymen, owned not by the council as public realm but instead by another, the freeholder of the Fox site. At that time it was an issue for some potential project or other, just what escapes me.
That would explain why the yellow lines stop at its extremis and possibly why it is topped n a different style to the public realm. The drayman’s hatch sat at its Geen Lanes end.
If so, and unless the council have subsequently purchased it, it will remain in the ownership of a 3rd party. Logic would suggest that to be the freeholder, possibly it being within the Fox lease (past or current), although one of the managers thinks not.
I’m not aware of yellow lines ever having been on it.
It's used briefly early morning by the Fox for deliveries.
There’s now a public throughway issue, well highlighted, and for the council to ultimately grasp and provide a solution.

Darren Edgar

10 Aug 2023 14:21 #6935

Freehold shown thusly:

Karl Brown

13 Aug 2023 08:49 #6936

The (small) area in question, separated by public realm from the main building, will have its own title document, should it indeed not be part of the continuum of public realm. The map simply shows the Fox pub itself which is not in doubt. Title detail could be obtained from HM Land registry, but at a small cost.
Partly linked, I read that pavement licenses, brought in under covid, are to be extended for a year before being made permanent via a bill now going through parliament. The whole approval process will be UK-uniform and easier for applicants. Outdoor dining is seen as a success and research is said to show it can avert crime and anti-social behaviour.
I would say its been good for PG – and other local areas – and more about the triangle wouldn’t go amiss; better to have tables on the pavements than parked cars.

Darren Edgar

14 Aug 2023 12:26 #6937

The areas shown white have no title on Land Reg, FYI. Usually as adopted public highway. That snapshot is taken directly from Land Reg and shows every possible title.

Karl Brown

15 Aug 2023 08:47 #6938

Thanks. Equally it could still remain as unregistered land (?) if never having been subject to transfer for decades and any easement which might apply would need actual title deeds to be revealed. One for the council to resolve.

Darren Edgar

16 Aug 2023 10:50 #6939

point is it is not within the ownership of the Fox.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.783 seconds