pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: 2018 timetables consultation: Govia drop plan to improve Sunday services

2018 timetables consultation: Govia drop plan to improve Sunday services

Karl Brown

02 Jan 2018 08:51 #3458

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Basil posted a government letter highlighting the wish to keep rail services, such as the one serving PG, "out of the clutches of a ... Labour Mayor". So never mind what may be optimal for the rail user, instead let’s determine strategy based on party political benefit. Interestingly the posted letter came from the same Chris Grayling who has been pressured to resign only last week by an extremely transport-savvy peer including on the basis that he put “party before politics” when addressing the failed East coast main line franchise holding. A position taken not for the first time it would seem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Palmers Green: Not on the map

Karl Brown

02 Jan 2018 09:30 #3459

One consequence of the government’s local –transport decision may well be PG’s “disappearance” from key London transport maps – we simply don’t exist. (The same applies for all other stops on our line plus other nearby areas on the Welwyn branch.) You can only surmise such a position is to the detriment of spend and investment of various forms to our area.
Attachments:

Darren Edgar

02 Jan 2018 12:30 #3461

It's not on the tube map because it's not on the tube network.

On my tube map app there is a setting to superimpse national rail lines over the tube map and all the stations, including Palmers Green, show up fine.

Only train line that does show up on mine as standard is the TFL line terminating in Shenfield.

Karl Brown

02 Jan 2018 15:37 #3462

I'm sure our line is indeed not on a tube map it not being a tube; but what's shown an excerpt from a London transport map which includes (some of) the capital's overground services, in this case for example one running through Edmonton Green and other relatively close (surface) stations on an overground railway - have a look next time you are in eg a train or tube station - very large, typically on a wall. Try missing the A12 off a road map because its not a ...... and imagine the impact on east Anglia

Basil Clarke

02 Jan 2018 16:40 #3463

Before moving to PG in 2008, I lived in Manor Park and before that in Highams Park. While I lived in those places, they weren't included on the tube map, but both are now shown (Highams Park is now on the London Overground and Manor Park on TfL Rail, soon to transmogrify into Crossrail/The Elizabeth Line).

So I conclude that in order to get Palmers Green on the map I'll have to move away. I supposed it's a sacrifice I'll have to make for the sake of better services and smarter stations for those of you who remain.

(Incidentally, today's Independent is forecasting the imminent removal from the Cabinet of Chris Grayling, who vetoed the transfer of more suburban lines to TfL because of the risk that London might have a Labour mayor - so maybe I won't have to move away after all.)

Basil Clarke

02 Jan 2018 16:47 #3464

To return to Karl's original point about not being on the tube map leading to reduced spend and investment , it's worth pointing out that neither Muswell Hill nor Crouch End are on any tube or rail map but don't seem to suffer from a shortage of spend and investment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darren Edgar

Darren Edgar

03 Jan 2018 09:22 #3468

I use my phone. Thanks, it's 2018. Lines are all marked up fine.

Darren Edgar

03 Jan 2018 09:24 #3469

Muswell Hill and Crouch End aren't on a tube or rail map because they aren't on any tube or rail lines.

Sure Crouch Hill features fine.....

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.729 seconds