pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Last chance for Govia?

Last chance for Govia?

Karl Brown

17 Jul 2018 13:17 #3974

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Frankly guys I wonder if you’re peddling “fake news” because if you look at the public position of the operator and the latest results from the major shareholder of the JV you will see that (and here I lift word for word):
• Govia has extensive experience running complex and challenging rail operations, managing significant change programmes,
• Go-Ahead (that's the majority shareholder in the JV) is a high quality transport operator with an industry leading position in the bus and rail sectors
• Good first half performance; full year expectations increase, due to one-off rail benefits
• Rail division results ahead of expectations for the half year – reported operating profit of £40.3m (H1’17: £26.6m), including one-off rail benefits
• Progress in all three Group strategic objectives: protect and grow the core, win new bus and rail contracts and develop for future transport needs
• During the period we have delivered improvements to support our strategy and deliver benefits to passengers.
• Our established bus and rail businesses continue to demonstrate the value private companies bring through the delivery of customer-focused public-sector transport services
• We are confident that our strategy will continue to deliver value to customers, colleagues, society and shareholders over the long-term

So that’s OK then.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last chance for Govia?

Adrian Day

18 Jul 2018 22:22 #3978

The interim timetable is simply unacceptable

Andrew Stedman

19 Jul 2018 04:47 #3986

I totally agree this is unacceptable. I too discovered the random gaps between a reduced number of trains, and only an hourly service at best last weekend is a disgrace. The picture of the knackered old train with paint missing says it all: GTR just don't care about the service they provide and should go.

The interim timetable is simply unacceptable

Neil Littman

19 Jul 2018 08:00 #3988

What was the point of changing the timetable anyway? In over 25 years of commuting in London (nearly all on Thameslink from either West Hampstead or Winchmore Hill) I got used to the two timetables a year and the odd cancellation but now it is just ridiculous.

Last chance for Govia?

Garry Humphreys

21 Jul 2018 13:53 #3995

In reply to Adrian Day's comment, above, indeed he did, and this is what he had to say:

speaker:Bambos Charalambous : 1 Commons debate
==============================================

Govia Thameslink Franchise (18 Jul 2018)
www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2018-07-18a.410.4&s=speaker%3A25676#g420.1
Bambos Charalambous: Despite the interim timetable from Govia
Thameslink, my constituents continue to get a woeful service, as they
have done for years, on the Great Northern route in and out of Moorgate.
Does the Minister agree that it is about time that Govia was stripped of
this franchise and the line given to the Mayor of London to run?

To keep up with our MP's frequent and excellent contributions in the House, sign up for e-mail alerts from www.theyworkforyou.com (who just happen to be based in Green Lanes, N13!). Most of these contributions do have direct relevance to our local community here in Enfield Southgate.

Last chance for Govia?

Karl Brown

02 Aug 2018 18:04 #4007

I’ve had some wild experiences in getting through the 57 million available ticket-option maze but this is one of the best being proposed by the national train web site: look at a day return to Brighton and buy tickets PG to Brighton, via Victoria (or indeed any available route) and its £16.40 each. Alternatively, get yourself to Victoria and buy a return from there to Brighton and it’ll cost £28.50 each. So that’s £12.10 extra or £24.20 for the pair of us. In addition there is then an Oyster cost of getting PG to Victoria and back, £9.80 I believe. That’s another £19.60 for the pair of us.

So should I pay £32.80 or £76.60 for exactly the same journey on exactly the same trains? (I went for the former.)

Now it’s to just hope they run at all and then ideally on time.

Last chance for Govia?

Adrian Day

03 Aug 2018 10:10 #4008

That's a decent price - though you're right to be sceptical, Karl. 10.10 from PG to Moorgate just cancelled - so a 45 minute gap between trains on a busy route in middle of school holidays. I claim now every time this happens - which means I'm richer but stuck at home :)

Last chance for Govia?

Karl Brown

03 Aug 2018 15:49 #4009

Sadly the PG ticket machine “could not print all vouchers, please contact ticket office”. Walking inside I find a notice, PG ticket office closed due to …. but the gate monitor kindly suggested I try Winchmore Hill ticket office (by return train journey I wondered). Alternatively talk to the staff at Brighton. (On the basis the machine manged two out vouchers but only one return voucher we can both get there to ask the question but currently not all of us can get back). I sense a short film in the making, and probably having to buy a fresh ticket at Brighton before going through the trouble of claiming that fee back in some rather long, convoluted exercise.

I read this week about some government minister outlining that our railways are the envy of Europe. It does seem we have slipped into a world where you can say absolutely whatever nonsense springs into your set narrative, and apparently believe it.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.742 seconds