pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood

Steve Coupland

13 Dec 2020 12:56 #5797

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Howard Toshman makes perhaps the most valid points on this topic.

Once again we have those who think they know best telling us all what is best for us. The overwhelming vast majority of people oppose this and other similar schemes; yet their voice is ignored. I do not need someone to lecture me on climate change (especially when greater congestion is created by the scheme), or about walking more, riding a bike, or using an already over subscribed, incompetent public transport system

There is no increased quality of life in these schemes. They simply add stress and cause angst. There was no big issue that needed addressing in the first place except one created by a handful on middle class NIMBY's.

The whole thing is a joke....and a very bad one at that. Have people in these LTN's given up their cars? I think not. Some people need to get real. You live in a city and the car is here to stay.
The topic has been locked.

PGC Webmaster

13 Dec 2020 13:34 #5798

Steve Coupland wrote:

The overwhelming vast majority of people oppose this and other similar schemes; yet their voice is ignored.

This claim is untrue. Polling has shown over and over again that more people support LTNs and cycle lanes than oppose - in fact, less than 20 per cent oppose. This is official government information based on professional pollling and was restated in a meeting last week by a high ranking Department for Transport offcial.

Anyone continuing to post this completely unsubstantiated false claim will be banned from the forum. It may be that you don't know anyone who supports them, but it is a proven fact that more people do than don't.

That doesn't mean that I don't allow discussion of LTNs on this forum, but they must be factually based discussions of the advantages and disadvantages.

Also, anyone attacking the character of people they disagree with will be banned, as I have made clear on several previous occasions. Steve Coupland has broken this rule in his last post, so he is banned.

I don't spend my time and money on this website so that people can use it to criticise sections of the community and unsupported claims.

PGC Webmaster

13 Dec 2020 15:32 #5799

This thread is now closed. Supporters and detractors have had plenty of opportunities to give their views, so I'm suspending discussion of the Fox Lane and Bowes LTNs (and of the general principles of LTNs) until the situation changes - eg when the council makes any changes or decides to make the schemes permanent or remove them.

As regards the proposals for Connaught Gardens, it's fine to discuss specifics of the scheme, but the subject of LTNs in general has been done to death. Time will tell whether or not they create problems that are bigger than those that they solve.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.776 seconds