pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Waitrose to close its Palmers Green shop

Waitrose to close its Palmers Green shop

PGC Webmaster

08 Feb 2017 22:55 #2685

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

waitrose palmers green by philafrenzyAccording to a report on the Guardian website, the Litte Waitrose shop in Palmers Green is among six stores that Waitrose will be closing later this year.

The report further states that the company "hopes" to replace the Palmers Green store with a new store in Winchmore Hill - presumably a reference to the former Green Dragon pub, which is currently being extensively rebuilt, leaving litte more than the facade of the local landmark.

Photo credits: By Philafrenzy via Wikimedia Commons" https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Little_Waitrose,_Palmers_Green_01.JPG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan Skipworth-Michell

09 Feb 2017 07:57 #2686

What a shame. Of all the big stores that have occupied the site Little Waitrose has been a real success. I wonder if the company would reconsider. Time for Councillors to weigh-in.

Paul Mandel

09 Feb 2017 08:22 #2687

So much for Palmers Green becoming more affluent.

Clearly Waitrose doesn't think so.

Good news though, it's just about the right size for another cavernous kebab joint , where you can eat about 3,000 calories for a tenner. Perfect after a long bike ride.

Darren Edgar

09 Feb 2017 09:56 #2692

Crying shame. Sign of decline in Palmers Green, not surprising given the pugnacious attacks on investment & development in the area.

As long as M&S isn't leaving Southgate.....

Garry Humphreys

09 Feb 2017 13:14 #2697

Very disappointing that Waitrose, a supposedly ethical company, should associate itself with the Green Dragon controversy, quite apart from leaving Palmers Green. There is now a notice outside the shop announcing this departure (subject to consulting with the 'partners' who work there, apparently, as if that will make any difference). Waitrose adds value to the Palmers Green 'high street' and, so far as I can see, does good business, not least from commuters calling in to and from the station. The Green Dragon site won't have these advantages, nor will it have much in the way of customer parking - the old Green Dragon car park is being built on (and any 'new' parking would be reserved for residents), street parking will be limited or non-existent owing to the cycle scheme - I just don't see the logic of such a move. (The obvious solution for the Green Dragon was to turn it into a Travel Inn with a public restaurant and bar facilities, but that's another topic.)

Should we start an online petition to try to convince the powers-that-be that Waitrose is an asset to Palmers Green and we don't want to lose it? Would PGC be prepared to publicise and coordinate it? www.change.org/start-a-petition?step=ask&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GST_USER_GBRT1_SCHT1&gclid=CPKdx4yGg9ICFSex7QodeSkAgg

Paul Mandel

09 Feb 2017 18:25 #2701

I was in there today as I am several times each week. The reason for the closure is their customers want free parking. The store on the old Green Dragon pub site will have 20-30 free customer parking spaces.Shows how out of touch the Council and mini-Holland supporters are Even though I personally always walk there, my family will be losing out.

Charmaine Bourton

09 Feb 2017 19:13 #2704

I like shopping in Palmers Green and it's nice to have a Little Waitrose that has all the things I want without having to traipse round a huge store and queue for ages

PGC Webmaster

09 Feb 2017 19:49 #2706

Garry Humphreys wrote:

Should we start an online petition to try to convince the powers-that-be that Waitrose is an asset to Palmers Green and we don't want to lose it? Would PGC be prepared to publicise and coordinate it? www.change.org/start-a-petition?step=ask&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GST_USER_GBRT1_SCHT1&gclid=CPKdx4yGg9ICFSex7QodeSkAgg

More than happy to publicise such a petition, but I'm not sure what "coordinating" involves. The first step would be to settle on wording. Any suggestions?

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds