pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Waitrose to close its Palmers Green shop

Waitrose to close its Palmers Green shop

Thomas Hawkins

09 Feb 2017 21:06 #2708

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

Paul, I understand your confusion but supermarkets work on sales revenue per sqft. They obviously are not selling enough and the new Sainsburys Local could be a factor. Parking is the same as when the store was being planned so that is irrelevant. Its a real shame as it was a real asset to what was and still is in some ways a very tired and run down street. Its all down to consumer spend. It filters down. If we really want to keep this asset which gives confidence to other potential traders we need so spend there. Perhaps a petition with a commitment to spend a certain amount per week would change their mind. If any encouragement was needed look at the (independent) research that states how much your house goes up when you live near a Waitrose. That will be the reverse if they go. I would be happy to commit to £10 a week! Maybe we are just too spoil t for choice - it is quite a small store (with a limited selection) and the Morrisons is very good. What does everyone else think? Am going to miss their coffee and excellent bread and cakes etc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Breda Patterson

09 Feb 2017 22:10 #2710

I facilitate a local parents page on Facebook and we have discussed the possibility of a petition therefore I am more than happy to be involved with this.

Thomas Hawkins

09 Feb 2017 22:37 #2711

Go for it.

Paul Mandel

09 Feb 2017 23:44 #2712

Thomas. It's a bit symplistic to say that shops work on sales revenue per square foot. They, substantial chains etc. make their investment decisions on their return on capital employed. Basically, their profitability. They wouldn't be closing if there they were making a big enough return.

As for a petition. There is one. But a staff member asked me not to sign. Because, she said, it may only delay the closure, by which time the WH branch will have been up and running, and all the jobs going there, taken.

Chrystalla Georgiou

10 Feb 2017 00:49 #2714

I am also surprised and very disappointed that Waitrose has chosen to leave us in PG particularly as it has proven so popular. I am also a regular shopper in Waitrose for certain foods and indeed the odd domestic item, particularly when I cannot be bothered to go into the larger supermarket of Morrisons for my full fat jersey milk and then find myself leaving Waitrose with far more then just milk! We all love a little luxury and now its going to be taken away from us, poor PG. I wonder why PG is not appreciated because from my own personal stand-point PG has the most attractive aspect for a potentially good quality shopping area and indeed, far more attractive then even the overrated aspect of Muswell Hill and Crouch End, as in PG we have so many lovely characterful buildings on and just off our Green Lanes which includes listed buildings. Waitrose in Winchmore Hill's previous Green Dragon pub building just seems odd to me. If Waitrose's management are looking for a larger premises in the area then there is the Twenty One store in PG this store has drastically declined and seems to be on its last legs. Disappointingly, parking spaces and shopping seems to be an on going issue and I thought we were embarking on mission to become environmentally friendly to eliminate pollution in our atmosphere for better overall health by using our cars less. People should be encouraged to stroll or cycle to their local supermarkets make their purchases and like 'Iceland' if the customer pays over a certain amount the customer will be entitled to a home free delivery within the area, surely this is the way to reduce cars on our roads and subsequently pollution as well. Waitrose are making a big mistake, so I am now going to sign the Let Keep PG Waitrose Petition.

Emma Holmes

10 Feb 2017 17:42 #2718

Can anyone share a link to an active petition?

Kaye Castanheira

10 Feb 2017 21:24 #2721

Kaye Castanheira

10 Feb 2017 21:26 #2722

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.750 seconds