pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

Regenerating Palmers Green town centre

maggie evangelou

05 Apr 2018 12:47 #3766

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

I agree. I have always admored this frontage.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Basil Clarke

05 Apr 2018 13:09 #3767

Adrian Day wrote:

A few years ago many residents took part in an extensive consultation exercise on how improve the Town Centre. The Council had a mobile office in Green Lanes and many visited to give their views. Most of the comments/feedback will still be relevant so suggest Peter reviews that input.

The results were never published but I got hold of them through an FOI Act request and wrote up an article with links to the draft report and to images of the forms that people filled in. You can find it at www.pgweb.uk/planning-all-subjects/pg-town-centre-improvements/608-residents-views-on-improving-palmers-green-revealed .

Colin Younger

05 Apr 2018 14:55 #3771

Just a minor point, the email address for Peter George repeats the ".gov.uk" so it wont work.

I have once again registered the faiure of Enfield to use their shopfront design guide to enforce their later rules on shop front solid security shutters. The current guidance is as follows:

DMD 40
Ground Floor Frontages
Development involving the creation of new, or alterations to existing ground floor frontages outside of designated industrial areas will only be permitted if all of the following criteria are met:
a. The frontage maintains visual interest within the street;
b. The frontages respect the rhythm, style and proportions of the building/group of buildings of which they form a part, avoiding damage to existing pilasters, capitals and other significant features, and where possible reinstating lost features important to the character of the street or building;
c. No more than 10% of the glazed area is obscured at any time, and a window display is included and maintained at all times to the reasonable satisfaction of the Council. Window displays should be lit at night using dedicated energy efficient fittings;
d. Any security shutters proposed are internally mounted, located behind the fascia and visually permeable; and
e. The street number is displayed within the frontage.
DMD 41
Advertisements
1. Advertisements must be of an appropriate size and type in relation to the premises and to the street scene.
2. Fascia boards must be of a height and depth consistent with the traditional proportions of the building.
3. Proposals for internally illuminated signs, box fascias or projecting box signs are unlikely to be acceptable in conservation areas and will normally be refused elsewhere unless the proposal is slim; recessed into the fascia area; contained between flanking pilasters; or where the proposed advertisement type is a feature of the building upon which it is proposed. Internal illumination of the entire sign will rarely be acceptable. Externally illuminated fascias and bracketed sign boards may offer an acceptable alternative.
4. Within the Area of Special Advert Control and within conservation areas, the size, siting and illumination of new advertisements must protect the special characteristics and overall visual amenity of the relevant designation. Adverts should not become visually dominant, nor result in unnecessary advertisement clutter and must be directly related to activities of the site on which they are displayed.

Cara McD

05 Apr 2018 15:58 #3774

The rents are very high and on top of that you have to think about rates. Plus the lease is usually at least 5 years which is a big commitment for small traders.

What about some pop-up shops? I run a small vintage business on the side and would love to collaborate with a few other vintage traders I know to open a temporary retail space in one of the many empty shops on the high street. If anyone knows of any pop-up shop opportunities please do let me know. It could give the high street a bit of a boost and some retro charm?

Darren Edgar

05 Apr 2018 16:24 #3776

Equally if you're a small local trader you could just collapse your company and exit your lease commitments that way. Or, if the pitch is decent you may even be able to sublet/assign your lease.

Like the pop up idea though, feels like an area the Council could probably assist more with in terms of permission/licencing etc.

You could knock MultiYork and Starbucks (same ownership) into one and make it a little mini indoor market of pop ups!! :)

Joe Mark O'Connor

06 Apr 2018 14:57 #3781

Hi Colin

I have proof of Peter George responding back to my email.

On 16 Feb 2018 5:26 pm, "Peter George" <> wrote:
Classification: OFFICIAL

I did undertake an initial walkabout in Palmers Green yesterday with two of the ward councillors, copied here, and two community representatives. That walkabout generated a number of ideas which we are looking to take forward.

We are planning to organise a much larger walkabout later in May which I will make sure you are invited to.

Regards,

Peter George

Assistant Director – Regeneration & Planning

Regeneration and Environment

Enfield Council

Silver Street

Enfield EN1 3ES

Karl Brown

11 Apr 2018 14:51 #3790

Good to read of positive, ongoing engagement in what is increasingly being reported on national media as a significant UK wide issue, affecting both major chains and small independents. Sad that election leaflets are being dropped by one party that the cause of PG shop closures is the cycle lanes. I despair at the nativity as much as the misguided opportunism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Mark O'Connor

Colin Younger

11 Apr 2018 19:00 #3792

I thought this reply from Peter George was worth posting.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the quality of the shop frontages in Palmers Green. Supporting and enhancing all our town centres is high on our agenda. The quality of shop frontages which you describe is indeed a challenge that all of the town centres in the borough face and have in common.

As you rightly say, we do have shopfront design guidance, which is on our website. We can and do still reference it, albeit it no longer currently has Supplementary Planning Document status. Going forward over the medium term, we envisage developing a suite of design guidance. We will revisit shopfront design guidance and its status as you have suggested, as part of this programme. More immediately, where breaches of planning control have occurred we will continue to look at enforcement action where appropriate.

In terms of reversing the current situation, we did (with the support of local group Palmers Green Reimagined) approach the Heritage Lottery Fund Townscape Heritage Initiative last year, to explore funding for a shop front grant scheme. Unfortunately such a scheme in the Palmers Green area did not fit with their funding criteria.

I don't know who the PG Reimagined group is by the way.

Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.843 seconds