pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Plans for Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood published

Plans for Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood published

Geoff Hook

15 Nov 2019 17:49 #4915

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

It feels like we are living in a Nazi state. Who do this regime think they represent. The plant boxes were just a trial. We will probably have hour restrictions Curfew next!?
The following user(s) said Thank You: roger dougall
The topic has been locked.

roger dougall

15 Nov 2019 18:03 #4916

Do we know the local Tory councillors stance on this issue. If we vote for them and they replace Labour then would they shelve the scheme.
Could be a real vote winner for local Tories.

David Hughes

15 Nov 2019 23:06 #4917

I'm beginning to worry about this thread, some contributors seem unwilling to debate the reasons for the proposal - kids freedoms and well-being, less toxic air quality/cleaner air, creating a pleasanter neighbourhood, the shear weight of though-traffic on some streets making life a misery for residents, against the access needs for residents' cars and deliveries, ambulances and so on.

As for the Geoff Hooks' Nazi state, quite a few people have requested the Council to make a change. Neighbours' cars are one thing, almost everyone has one and that's fine, but drivers forsaking the main roads to their destination and speeding along a purely residential roads spreading their dangerous air quality is another. Clearly it's not a Nazi state that's being created, it's the Council trying its best to meet conflicting requests/needs.

When the trial is complete just tell the Council what you opinion is and why; your opinion will be taken into account just as mine will. My guess is most residents would prefer the status quo, but the shear weight of through traffic has degraded their quality of life, in their opinion and mine, such that an attempt has to be made to improve the situation for the people who live there.

roger dougall

16 Nov 2019 08:28 #4918

I have still yet to see a single post either here or on other forums from anybody with a family with children or anybody who has to work praising the virtues of the scheme.
It seems to be just a fractionally small minority of middle aged men who sit around in their houses all day who only need to potter around on a bike trying to impose change on the majority of people who need to work and fulfil family commitments who don't need further obstacles in an already busy life
The following user(s) said Thank You: Candy Newman, Helen Masacz

Helen Masacz

16 Nov 2019 09:55 #4919

I'm against this idea of redirecting traffic from the Lakes as the families who live on Fox lane, Oakfield road and Bourne will take the brunt of the pollution. why is that acceptable?- They're streets wont be
Calmer & quieter
Safer neighbourhood
Greener and cleaner environments and air
Improved public realm
Increased physical activity
More connected. It seems it's for the few and not for the many. it smacks of entitled few wanting all the positives and dumping the rest on others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Candy Newman, roger dougall, Peter Doble

David Hughes

17 Nov 2019 18:03 #4922

I'm one of those middle-aged men - well no, I'm an old-aged man - but I do cycle rather than walk because there is less strain on knees and hips. Yes we do have a car, but I/we rarely use it because walking and cycling are good for you, and London's public transport is mostly excellent (especially compared with most other countries).

What affect the creation of a 'Quieter Neighbourhood ' will have is hard to envisage for the Lakes Estate, but one thing is certain: if the Council's proposals disadvantage residents changes will be made.

There's some very well researched background to all this which found that the 'age of the car' has severely disadvantaged children. And being an old-aged man I've witnessed/been part of it. As a five year old child I walked to school supervised by girls little older than myself (walking is much better for you that being in a car). A little older than that we kids all played out without parental supervision, and sometimes even after dark.

Where Helen M's claim that if the Council's scheme is adopted the streets won't be safer and quieter I don't know. Of course the changes won't create magical, serene neighbourhoods, but they should adjust the balance between the dominance of cars and residential streets as social space. A step in the right direction which can built on as time passes.

Finally I'm a little bewildered by the Helen's feeling that "....it smacks of the entitled few wanting all the positives....". All I'm looking for is residential streetswhich favour people, and particularly kids, against cars driven too fast (above 20mph), and are pleasant enough for adults to form neighbourly friendships. The dominance of cars on residential streets has isolated us in our homes.

Helen Masacz

17 Nov 2019 21:00 #4925

Not sure how cars can speed down roads on the Lakes, they have speed bumps along them. In my view set a speed limit of 20- job done. We don't live on a private estate, we live in a busy suburb and the natural flow of traffic trickles along our roads (that's what roads are for) distributing traffic more evenly alleviating heavy congestion in areas. If Bourne Hill, Oakfield road and the Fox lane become even more congested, why is that fair for the families who live on these roads. it's not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Candy Newman, Peter Doble

Dru Loizou

18 Nov 2019 00:30 #4926

As a resident of Grovelands Road, where speeds of over 70mph have been recorded, I’m willing to give this a go. Something needs to be done about the speed and volume of cars through our neighbourhood. Changing the speed limit to 20mph is pointless if you can’t enforce. And while bumps will help reduce speed, they’re unlikely to decrease the rat runs. Research also shows that pollution increases as cars slow down and speed up between bumps.

I work full time, in case you were wondering, Roger D, and last year bought a bike to use for shorter journeys around the neighbourhood. There are, of course, instances where I need to use the car, but going forward, I’ll just make sure I factor in extra time to get out of the estate. The Council’s proposals aren’t perfect (I’d prefer Grovelands Road to be closed at the Fox Lane end, so Green Lanes is easily avoided), but I’d much rather we trial and refine/improve with feedback and measurement, as opposed to nothing being done at all.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.642 seconds