pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
pgc all green working and signpost with lettering new colour 2
facebook icon twitter icon

Forum topic: Plans for Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood published

Plans for Fox Lane low-traffic neighbourhood published

roger dougall

20 Nov 2019 17:08 #4944

Share share on facebook icon share on twitter icon Share by email

With reference to Candy Newmans point I'm pleased to see some kind of modification to ease the potential congestion on her road.. Good to see the council are working with everyone.Thanks to Adrian for so promptly posting the modification.

The only potential problem maybe the opening of a new rat run as static traffic on Bourne Hill will be encouraged to cut around the traffic and travel down Oakfield road in attempt to 'push back in' along Bourne Avenue.The estate could be flooded with traffic attempting this short cut.

Nevertheless this is good progress to see alterations being made. If someone can solve the issue of somehow being able to access Aldermans Hill then we may have a workable plan forming .
The topic has been locked.

Matthew Stevens

20 Nov 2019 21:29 #4945

Hi. We live on caversham avenue. I just wanted to put another option in to the mix. Perhaps the council could operate temporary road closeures during peak hours operated by cameras and fine any un-authorised entry using anpr and PCN notices. This way the roads can be free for residents and stop them being used as a through route. Plus an extra revenue for the council. See attached
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roger dougall

roger dougall

20 Nov 2019 21:55 #4946

Brilliant suggestion by Matthew,I've suggested similar things in previous posts as a compromise. I would still prefer all roads stay open but I could run with this idea.Afterall they enforce bus lanes using this method and we could all access Aldermans Hill at some point.
Any reason this wouldn't work?

Kyriacos Vassiliou

20 Nov 2019 22:13 #4947

I live in Bourne Hill and I am shocked that the authority or campaigner of the project did not have the courtesy to let us know about these proposals.
I found out about this scheme from my son who lives in Cranley Gardens.
These are draconian proposals so extreme that it will have detrimental impact around Fox Lane area.
This proposal for the Fox Lane area will only benefit some residents but bring more congestion and pollution to others. The scheme will create more problems outside the Fox Lane neighbourhood with cars having to travel further to get to their destination.
Some roads will be heavily congested including Bourne Hill, Aldermans Hill and Green Lanes.
A more suitable solution would be to introduce speed bumps and 20mph zones
Making some roads one way could also help, ie Cranley and Burford Gardens

John Phillips

21 Nov 2019 09:01 #4949

Sorry Kyriacos,
Speed bumps don't help, they only penalize small cars. 4x4s cope with them more easily. See The Mall.
20 mph zones don't work. It's already 30mph and that is widely ignored.
One way streets speed up the traffic and that's the last thing we want.
We will not know if traffic 'evaporation' reduces the traffic on the surrounding routes until it's tried, but it has in other areas of London.

Adrian Day

21 Nov 2019 09:18 #4950

Similar schemes elsewhere have shown that people within the area increase the number of journeys taken by foot and bike - and that over all the amount of vehicular traffic falls. If we are to address the major challenges of climate change, obesity, illness from pollution and 27,000 deaths/injuries from road accidents a year we need to start doing things differently. This LTN is just the start of measures that have to be taken to reduce dependence on the car - expect many more LTNs in Enfield and other measures to encourage sustainable travel. Who would have thought that, Bank, one of the busiest junctions in the centre of London would be closed to vehicles one day?

Darren Edgar

21 Nov 2019 09:35 #4952

Kyriacos Vassiliou wrote:

I live in Bourne Hill and I am shocked that the authority or campaigner of the project did not have the courtesy to let us know about these proposals.
I found out about this scheme from my son who lives in Cranley Gardens.
These are draconian proposals so extreme that it will have detrimental impact around Fox Lane area.
This proposal for the Fox Lane area will only benefit some residents but bring more congestion and pollution to others. The scheme will create more problems outside the Fox Lane neighbourhood with cars having to travel further to get to their destination.
Some roads will be heavily congested including Bourne Hill, Aldermans Hill and Green Lanes.
A more suitable solution would be to introduce speed bumps and 20mph zones
Making some roads one way could also help, ie Cranley and Burford Gardens

Speed humps don't do anything about rat running and just encourage speed and braking between humps. They are also little consequence to big SUVs.

20mph zones are unenforceable. Enfield Police are on record that speeding not a priority and they won't apply resources to tackling it.

As noted, you can't get speed cameras without a demonstrated track record of speed related KSIs (i.e. deaths/serious injuries).
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Phillips

Chelsea Dawson

21 Nov 2019 10:49 #4953

20mph zones are unenforceable. Enfield Police are on record that speeding not a priority and they won't apply resources to tackling it.

Do you mean there is no will to enforce these zones, rather than that they are unenforceable? There is a difference and it is my understanding that 20MPH zones are certainly enforceable.

In addition, exceeding a speed limit by more than 20mph in a 20mph or 30mph zone will result in a Band C fine – 6 penalty points and a fine of 125-175% of your weekly income. You can also be disqualified for between 7-56 days.
Moderators: PGC WebmasterBasil Clarke
Time to create page: 0.699 seconds